In a time of decentralized communications via social media and other channels it is essential that more and more members of your team have writing and editing skills. The Tantalus Group offers writing and editing services as well as writing and editing training.
We all want to:
- Express complex ideas and issues effectively in written communication
- Write documents that get read and build rapport with readers
- Write to influence, persuade, motivate and inspire
- Write punchy documents that produce an action
It’s important to first know your audience. Start with the basic understanding that various stakeholders have different expectations. It’s our role to anticipate, manage and meet those expectations.
Some basic tips for writing and editing:
- Strive for simple, straightforward language
- Never use a long word where a short one will do
- If it is possible to cut out a word, always cut it out
- Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent (except when writing for a technical audience)
- Never use the passive where you can use the active
To get help with your writing and editing project, or for writing skills training, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 604 551 3849.